Sunday, May 3, 2009

Teenage Memories

I've been trying to remember what kinds of things I loved to do as a teen. I don't have a very long list......I may need some help from my old friends.

13 - Lived in Eugene. I was very much into Wham! (They broke up in '86 though) I believe this was the age of my first crush (Gary Sealander). Never once talked to him. I loved to sing and dance. I was in a jazz show choir and did a lot of performances. I was also in a few of the High school musicals. I was always a specialty dancer. I remember that this was the time in my life that I knew I was going to be a Choreographer. Even at my age.....I would still love that job.

14 - First year of High School. New town Philomath. No friends (I made them quickly though) The year of my first kiss (a guy that I had met that night through a friend) I accidentally bit him.....I never saw him again. Hmmmm.

15 - This is the year that I decided I wanted to travel out of the country. My destinations were London & Austrailia. I've never been to either. So much for my childhood dreams. I was still very much into music and dance. And boys. I dated two guys (they were friends) Mike & Josh. Funny....I thought I was so in love back then. I really had no idea what love was. It is really sad that some teens don't realize that until it is too late.

16 - I got my license immediately. And drove everywhere. I lived in the middle of nothing special.....I couldn't walk to get things done. I used to pick up all of my friends in my moms van and we would go play sardines at WildCat Park......or flashlight tag and Ice blocking at Avery Park. We would go to the drive-in theater often. Amazing how many people you could fit in that van. We loved to go bowling.

17 - Senior year in High School. Still very much into music and dance. I did many solos. I even took second in state for a Solo/Ensamble competition. Funny....I could sing and dance in front of anyone.....but if I had to give a talk in school.....I was always sick. I never had to come up with excuses not to go....my body did it for me. Fevers, Vomiting, Chills......you name it. I could pass any doctors test. Unfortunately....I went to the doctor and he said I had 'walking pneumonia'. I have had a very difficult time singing since. I miss that ability. I can still sing ok......just not as spectacularly as I used to. Once I graduated I imediately moved out of the house and in with some friends. I've been on my own ever since.

I would really love to hear from all of my friends what their dreams were when they were teens. What did you do in your spare time to keep you out of trouble and have fun? It is nice to write about this. To think back. It makes me feel young again. I want to do all of these things now. I'll have a new teen to entertain and I want to be having fun with her too. My mom was always playing with my friends and I. We loved it. She was so much fun. Got us into more trouble than we ever did by ourselves.

Ah.....the good old days :)

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I couldn't wait to drive a car, and move out!! Not that home was bad or anything - on the contrary. I just wanted to be FREE!! Very liberating.

Jen said...

I love your first kiss story! Great post idea. I'm with Natalie...getting a car and moving out were basically my only ambitions. Oh...and dating Rob Lowe. Fortunately, that last one never happened.

Amy said...

Rob Lowe? Oh yeah Jen. Me too. And even in the later years, on West Wing, he's still dreamy.

I was completely in to cheerleading. It was my sport and my social life all rolled into one. Looking back I wonder if I would have spent my time better elsewhere. Not sure. We worked really hard which was a good learning experience and gave me a sense of pride in accomplishments, but still there was that whole "cheerleader" social aspect that was hard to avoid.