Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Honeymoon



The transition period for adoptees is called the honeymoon. And what a honeymoon we had this weekend. When Britanie first got here she was very shy and not very outgoing. Kind of sad and kept to herself. Totally Normal!!!

Friday we took her shopping and bought her personal stuff and clothes. What fun it was to find sales. We would walk into a store....find her size (which by the way is almost non-existent) and grab all the colors and styles we liked. What fun to shop for someone else. We came home and worked around the house while she unpacked all of her stuff and set up her room the way she wanted it. We spent the evening together at home. She makes amazing guacamole....enough that Dan even tried (and liked) it. I've been trying to get him to eat that stuff for 15 years...she is only here a day and he does it for her......hmmmmm.

Saturday we slept in. Boy, did that feel good after shopping all day the day before. We went up to Wilsonville to Bullwinkle's fun center. We found out that she loves to drive....(as most 14 year olds will). We did the go carts quite a few times. I've never done those before. It was a blast.



Sunday we decided that the weather was so good that we needed to go to the coast. We found a dog sitter and took off. We ended up staying at agate beach in a hotel. We walked the beach...took lots of pictures....one being the one at the top of the blog. We went swimming in the pool. And we dyed her hair platinum blond. She wants purple tips....but I don't think that will fly with Dan. We will see how much she can manipulate his decision :) Dan and her had pillow fights until around 11pm. I was pretty sure they were going to kick us out of the hotel for noise.....but....they didn't :)



Monday we ordered room service for breakfast and hung around in the room until noon. And started our trek home. None of us wanted to come back here because we knew that we would have to take her home by 9pm. She was playing with our phones on the way home and changed all of the settings with pictures of her. But the one text that I got from her I will remember forever. She sent a note that said "D+L+B=Family". When we did get home we decided to do a little pool time. We found that she does NOT like spiders (definitely my daughter). She clung to Dan in the pool every time she saw anything that resembled a spider. Boy can she move fast when she wants to. The most difficult part of the night was dropping her back off in Portland. It was very emotional for all of us. We didn't want to do it. She even got us lost on purpose because she was trying to stall. When we finally did get to our destination.....she introduced us as her mom and dad. I thought I was going to cry right there in front of everyone. Dan and I both saved it for when we got in the car later.

It amazes us how much you can fall in love so quickly. I know I felt that way for Dan when I first met him....but I didn't think I would get that twice in my life. Britanie completes us. She is a pure joy. And this has been the best weekend of mine and Dan's entire life. Even our own honeymoon doesn't compare. And we are both ok with that. We cannot wait to have her in our home permanently....and we are hoping that will be this next weekend.



We don't know how long the honeymoon will last. But we are sure enjoying it while it does. At some point we will become a normal family....with normal problems. But for now.....it is pure bliss.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

So happy for all 3 of you. What a great way to start your 'Honeymoon'. May it last a long time.

Sharlee said...

We are so happy for you guys!! What a wonderful and deserving blessing Britanie is. Children are indeed the greatest blessings ever {even when they are naughty}! That picture of your footprints in the sand is so precious. You better get that framed!! You guys better get some family pictures taken!;)

Natalie said...

Love it!! I'm so glad you had such a great weekend. I'm excited for your new journey as a family.

Amy said...

Congratulations! I thought of you guys so often this weekend. Hurrah for your new family. I'm so happy for all of you.

Mooners said...

Ya i am so excited for you all!!! and i almost cried too just reading the post!! :)i love you all

Prestwich Family said...

Wow! I am so exited for all of you! I am so glad it went well and hope it continues to!!

Chelsea Rivas said...

*tears streaming down my face*

My heart is so full of joy for the three of you, it's almost indescribable.

I was so incredibly touched by your post. How truly sweet and truly blessed is this event.

Wow.