Friday, April 3, 2009

Dogs are human too.....

Elphaba is our baby. She is two years old now. Gauper is 10 years and Kestra is 9 1/2. It is funny to me to watch Kestra and Gauper raise Elphaba. She is the perfect half of each of them. Gauper has an Eeyore mentality and Kestra is a protector of the mama. Elphaba has both of those personalities within her.

I remember when we first adopted Gauper. He had a mate......her name was Gayla. They were soul mates. They never were apart. Gayla died when she was 6 months old. Tragic swimming pool accident. And Gauper was devistated. He moped around the house for days. Looking for her. It was absolutely heart renching. He seemed to be suffering just as much as we were. Maybe more. So we decided to get him another mate. We went to go pick her up.......and she litterally cried all the way home. I wanted to turn around and take her back. Gauper was horrified that we thought we could replace Gayla. He was grumpy and did not accept her for three to four weeks. Then one day we caught them playing. We didn't want him to know we were watching so we hid around the corner. He was teaching Kestra how to be like Gayla. Gayla was the Alpha dog in the relationship......and he obviously did not want that role.

No one can convince us that these dogs don't think like humans. .I remember a time that the dogs were in the car with us.....actually they were in my seat when I wanted in.....so I looked at them in the eyes and said "back seat". The next thing I knew.....both dogs were jumping into the back seat. I had never taught them that command. So I decided to try other tricks. It worked the same way. They seemed to understand exactly what I was saying. When we first adopted Elphaba, it was difficult to communicate with her......but we then realized that she didn't know english yet. We are just realizing that she has picked up on it with out telling us. So.......now she does tricks.

Trust me..........our dogs ARE our children. I do not see them as lower life forms. They are a perfect part of our household. And much needed :)

No comments: