Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Same thing....different year

I remember last year I was trying to figure out what to do about Christmas with Barbara my cousin. We didn't know if we should stick to the Christmas that we always do (Spiritual Christ) or to spoil her and make it a blast. I remember that we chose to combine the two. We gave her 3 large gifts because Christ only got 3 gifts. Granted they were expensive gifts....but, I think we got the point across.

This year we have Britanie. She has no religious belief. She doesn't want to. How do you make Christmas spiritually special for Dan and I without destroying it for a teenager? And how do you make it special for her without destroying everything we believe in?

Why is Christmas so hard? It is times like this that make me not look forward to Christmas. This is not how I am supposed to feel. This should be a happy and joyful time. I wish I could look into the future and see what I am going to do. So I don't have to worry about what I'm going to do.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Do what you and Dan enjoy doing through the season and then spoil her on Christmas morning. Giving gifts doesn't mean your Christmas isn't Christ-centered. I think you can have the best of both worlds.

Natalie said...

What a great year to celebrate! You have a child in your family! Christmas with that in mind should work out just fine.

Shane Brown said...

You have to remember that the moment she wakes up and spends Christmas with HER family, you have already given her the greatest gift she has received to this point in her short life.

I think you and Dan should observe Christmas as you always have and make it a spiritual time. Exposing Brittanie to that aspect of the season, even if she chooses not to jump in with both feet, can only do good. Make sure she knows that you are giving gifts because you love her and it commemmorates the gifts given to Christ at his birth. Whether she chooses to accept them in the same light is up to her, but you and Dan will be blessed because of the spirit in which they were given.

Other than that, just enjoy the season. It's your first Christmas as a family. Believe me- that can NOT be overrated. Melissa and I are so excited for you guys!

Amy said...

Christmas is about the greatest love possible. No need to stress...just do that and it will all be awesome! Really!