Thursday, January 15, 2009

Going Green

I'm all for Green. I mean, that is why we own an Earth Friendly Pest Control company right? My father has always been the green/granola health nut. All about the earth and keeping your body in tune with it. Something like that.

My father has gone raw. Has anyone heard of that? They don't cook anything. They eat everything in their raw form. Don't worry....not meat. But with that he has started drinking what they call "Green drink". Basically, it is one whole green apple, 1/2 a lemon, 2 cups of water and ANY green vegetable you can find. Blend it in the blender and strain the juice out. Drink up.

We decided to try it.....not the raw.....but the green drink. He says that it is very healthy for you and once a day is fine. YIKES. It is not really that bad.....once you get past the gag reflex. I am beginning to believe he doesn't have any working taste buds :) We will keep it up for a little while...just to see if we notice a difference. But why can't being healthy taste good?

My dad made a comment when we were down in California for the funeral that parents should not have to live longer than their children. And that maybe he should stop taking care of himself (Or in other words - being a health nut) so that doesn't happen. It really made me think about how I live my life and that it really does affect the people around me more than I thought.

So, Cheers Dad!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Are Oreos raw??

I talked to a nutritionist once who told me that her motto was "Everything in moderation. Including moderation." Loved it!

I just can't go in for the extremist side of healthy eating. Too hard and limited for me. We do make fresh juices with our garden fruits and veggies...but we make yummy ones. Fresh apple juice maybe with a bit of lime and ginger. Yum!

But good for you for giving it a try! If you try it too hard, you might try with a basic juice that you like and slowly start adding more of the healthier veggies. Sort of slowly sneak up on that gag reflex...LOL

Good luck