Sunday, November 22, 2009

'Traditional' Thanksgiving

This time of year is always the same to us. Tradition is something that I love to rely upon. Thanksgiving Day, Dan and I generally have to ourselves. (This year we have added one :)) So, it has caused me to reflect upon what of our traditions will change and which ones will remain.

The day after Thanksgiving is our Tree day. We either go hunting in the woods for our Christmas tree (only $5 - but kind of flimsy)...or we go to Martha's and buy a tree that will die (usually $80-90)...but we have been wondering if we are going to fall within the "fake" tree slot this year. I've always hated fake trees. But, this year it has been kind of appealing to me. (I have no idea why)

The Saturday after Thanksgiving is the annual Pippert Thanksgiving. All of Dan's brothers and sisters get together and just have a meet and mingle. Bring left overs from your Thursday meal (Which we never seem to have) and just hang out. It is great that we can depend on this to happen every year. It has always amazed me that most of his brothers and sisters live in the Willamette Valley....yet we only see each other on this one Saturday a year.

This year we are starting a new tradition. We are hosting Thanksgiving at our house with my side of the family on Sunday. I love the big traditional Thanksgiving dinners with all the trimmings. I am so excited to get this started. I'm kind of sad that it is not happening on Thanksgiving day....but, I'm very grateful that it is going to happen no matter what.

I love this time of year. I love spending time with Family and Friends. Happy Thanksgiving to all. And if you do not have a home to celebrate Thanksgiving this year.....please come on Sunday. All are welcome :D

No comments: