Thursday, November 12, 2009

Horrible Mom? Or 'Healthy' Medicine?

Please tell me that other parents have done this.....

Britanie wants to be on the freshman basketball team. So, we had to get her in to the doctor to have a sports physical. I decided to let her go back by herself because it seemed like it would be a pretty personal appointment. I thought she might like her privacy. Well, as normal, the nurse came out and asked me if there was anything that I would like to talk to the doctor about. And I remembered that we had a problem at the eye doctor. He had recorded her vision as 20/70 but could not match a prescription to her to correct it. Nothing worked. So, I asked if she might have recommendations for an ophthalmologist. The nurse then told me that they just did an eye test on her for the physical and her eyesight was 20/20. (Britanie wanted contact lenses...because she thought it would be cool) And I am just realizing while I'm talking to the nurse that she tried to fake the first test...but obviously did not know the right way to do that. And because the physical was not just eyesight...she must have forgotten that she complained about problems seeing. TEENAGERS!!!! So, of course I am steaming inside about the lies and the running around...when the doctor says "because of her age and because she is going to be doing sports...I highly recommend she get a flu shot." Is it bad that I almost cut the doctor off by agreeing to the shot? Not only that, but I requested to go back and watch her get the shot. I'm not one that has ever been sold on flu shots and I really haven't been worried about the current epidemic. I just wanted her to get a shot!!! That felt like the only "healthy" way to get back at her for being a teenager. Sad...but I felt much better. :D

No comments: