Friday, December 19, 2008

Expenses

Seriously....is it just me or do things only seem to break down around Christmas time? Three weeks ago our dishwasher decided to not drain anymore. So after a very long search and looking for the best dishwasher for our household we bought one. No one seems to want to fix the old one. Which is weird.....it was only about 8 years old. Not like 25. Now that we have the new one installed....I realize how much I miss the old one. Did you know that you HAVE to use jet dry with all the new ones. They won't run without it. But not even that.....we have to wash the dishes before we put them in. Our old one could sit with crusted food on it for days and we never had to worry about food getting stuck. Seems like technology isn't advancing in the kitchen much.
Four days ago we woke up to a very cold house. It seems that our furnace decided to have sympathy pains for the dishwasher. Of course this one is 25 years old and to order parts for it you have to special order them and they are very expensive. So now we have to replace the furnace. Luckily we have a wood stove and a small supply of wood. Otherwise we might have to dig snow caves to stay warm. Why is it that the heaters always seem to break during the heavy winter storms. And the A/C during 11o degree weather? So now.....thousands of dollars later, it is Christmas time. Boy am I glad I only have one child to spoil. And she appreciates the heat and a machine that cleans dishes for her.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Yowza. That is an expensive Christmas! One suggestion: while your neighbors are sleeping, break into their house, steal their Christmas tree and burn it up in your woodstove. Repeat on the next neighbor when your wood supply runs low.

And, seriously, you really have to wash the dishes before they go into the dishwasher? I know someone who does that and I always just thought it was because she was OCD or something! Hm, and I'd been eyeing a new diswasher...guess I'll keep my ugly, old workhouse around awhile longer.

Natalie said...

In our house, if the dishwasher breaks, that's a bad thing. Because the dishwasher is also the laundress, mother, wife, nurse, cook, driver . . . . you get the picture. Ahhhh, I'd take your crappy new dishwasher any day.

Prestwich Family said...

Arin and I were just talking about this a couple days ago. How nothing ever dries on the new ones cause then have to be all energy efficient and stuff!! Sheeze! My old apartment one cleaned way better then the one we have not too. And mine is only 5 years old, but the handle broke on it and I swear I could have bought a new dishwasher for the price of the stupid little plastic part!

Jen said...

I dread the day that my dishwasher goes out. It's 20+ years old and cleans dishes better than anything I've ever used. It's dead-dog ugly, doesn't latch sometimes and leaks water on occasion...but I've heard enough stories like yours to not want a new one!!

Arin said...

I second the whole dishwasher thing...like Kendell said we were just talking about this. I am so not happy with my "fancy" new dishwasher...dang all those energy efficiency laws...

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem!

Sorry about your furnace...yours is the second blog I've read today with a furnace needing to be replaced. Hope you get it all worked out!