Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Christmas season

I always struggle around Christmas. I have this very strong desire to make the season about Christ. And celebrating His birth. But then my heathen upbringing pops into my mind and all I can think about is thousands of presents under the tree Christmas morning. This Christmas is just like all the others. Except this time we have a young impressionable person in our home. Just baptized into the church. This would be her first Christmas with a religion. Thus the struggle begins. Her being our first "child" figure....we want to spoil her and make a Christmas to remember with lots of gifts. Yet celebrating Christ would also be a Christmas to remember. I heard once that someone celebrated by giving just three gifts to the children....because that is how many Christ received. I would love to hear other options and traditions. Either way, it will be an amazing holiday.

Blog to you soon......

3 comments:

Natalie said...

You know, I think you can have it both ways without the guilt. You're right, it is about Christ, and that should be the main focus. But there's nothing inately wrong with giving lots of presents. In fact, I think it helps up to be grateful. It ceases to be fun or meaningful when there's sadness or frustration about not "getting everything on the list." So, I say spoil the heck out of her, but testify as you do so!

Amy said...

I'm with Natalie. Christmas is one big grand celebration - celebrate!

Prestwich Family said...

Once again, ditto on what Nat says!