Thursday, October 16, 2008

Looney Toons

When I was growing up these were my favorite part of Saturday mornings. I decided we should add them to our library. I have a friend (AmyJo) that thinks they are a very violent cartoon and cannot believe that I would let my children watch them. I just shrugged it off and got them anyway. How bad could they be....I grew up with these. My vocabulary grew with them. I could repeat them word for word while watching them.

.........

So then, I get home and watch them. NO WAY will I let any children watch these in my house without the approval of their parents!!! At the end of one of them.....Bugs and Yosemite Sam were running for office (That voting thing that I don't know much about :) ) and they find out someone else won over them while they were too busy gun fighting each other.......so Bugs says at the end "anyone for a game of Russian Roulette?" and they play it just the two of them. Sam doesn't get the bullet....Bugs does.....but Bugs wasn't pointing at his head....it went through his ears and got Sam. The great thing about this is no one got hurt. But I'm afraid that it is showing children that if you play with guns and shoot people no one will get hurt. They are funny to watch as an adult because they are nostalgic. Even though they were ancient when I was a kid watching them in the seventies. But no way are they for children. And the thing is.....they were never made for children in the first place. Warner Bros. doesn't recommend them for children.

Thanks AmyJo.......

Blog to you soon!

3 comments:

Prestwich Family said...

I do let my children watch Tom and Jerry though. That is a classic and they love it. They do watch baby looney toons which is just fine. Tom and Jerry is a little violent, but not guns!

Natalie said...

I must be a bad mother. My kids watch Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings. They haven't killed each other or dabbled in the dark arts yet, so I figure they're fine. I love Looney Toons. That's where I learned to shoot a gun:)

Amy said...

I'm with you Leslie. But then again, I'm a bit of a maniac about that kind of stuff. If people even talk mean to each other it is off limits for Soren. Really. I think this is just a really special window to brain wash him to the kinder gentler way of going in the world. Know what I mean?

But I sure did like those cartoons as a kid myself. And I suppose I didn't turn out to be too much of a maniac. Who knows? Maybe I'm depriving my kid of an avenue for all his innate aggression and it will all explode for lack of an outlet!