Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Questions for my "not so perfect" friends

I am finding that it is difficult to send my daughter out into the world because of all the bad choices I made as a teenager.

I see a spitting image of myself in her. This is not a bad person....but a person that is not as informed as I am as an adult. She has been through a tough time and knows a heck of a lot more than most kids her age. Ok...this sounds so stupid. I know she sees me as the parent that thinks I know everything but don't. That she knows way more than me and that I could never know what she is going through or thinking. So much a teenager.

That is where I'm stumped. I know that you must stand back and hope they make the right choices. What if you don't think that they will? I know some youth that are clueless and don't know which way is up. Is it the right thing to NOT tell her what my experiences were? Or might it be a way to get her to open up? Or would it give her leverage....'you broke the rules, why can't I'?

I don't mean to turn this into a help me be a parent blog. I look back and realize that that is what I have kind of been doing. Really, I'm just posting my thoughts and hoping that I'm doing the right thing. I know all moms do this. I just do it in public. I love this girl so much that I want the best for her. And I want to protect her with every means possible. But, I don't want to smother her either. Smothering kind of sounds good to me right now.....

No comments: